Monday, January 25, 2016

Eccleston, Tennant, Smith, and Capaldi (aka Nine, Ten, Eleven, and Twelve)

Hi, I'm back! This time I'll be talking about the four actors who play our beloved Doctor in the new version of Doctor Who (running for about 10 years). I'll go through each individually so I can attempt to thoroughly explain my feelings for all of them.

Christopher Eccleston (Ninth Doctor):

  • I loved Christopher Eccleston's performance so much. How couldn't I? He was the Doctor that I first met and grew to adore. The Ninth Doctor is the one who kicks of the series and resumes the adventures through time and space. 
  • I'd have to say that my favorite moment shared between Rose and Nine was in 1x10 "The Doctor Dances", where Rose tried to teach him how to dance properly. Obviously, this episode was also packed with our favorite Torchwood star, Captain Jack Harkness.
  • I don't think words can describe how funny and adventurous I find the Ninth Doctor. Obviously, he couldn't have been given that personality without the charisma of Christopher Eccleston.
  • It was heartbreaking for me to see our beloved Nine leave after one season. For me, it was all very new as it was the first regeneration I'd seen in the show, so that made it all the more painful. I loved Nine so much and think he deserved another season, but I've been told that Christopher Eccleston quit the show, resulting in the loss of the Ninth Doctor.


David Tennant (Tenth Doctor):

  • The most important thing I have to say about the Tenth Doctor is that he had, by far, the most heartbreaking and dramatic impact on the show. This all comes from David Tennant's beautiful acting, so I daresay he deserved the Special Recognition Award for TV.
  • As we see in season two, Ten's relationship with Rose develops much farther than that of his former persona. One of the top saddest moments of seasons two-four was his goodbye scene with Rose in 2x13 "Doomsday", in which the Doctor didn't have the chance to say goodbye to Rose.
  • Before I go any further, I have to admit something very tragic. At the beginning of season 2, I was wary of the Tenth Doctor, because it was new and unusual to me. Naturally, this happened to the rest of the Doctor's regenerations, but I end up loving each and every one.
  • I must admit that I bawled my eyes out when Ten regenerated, and that's not even an exaggeration. All of the drama of that episode built up and destroyed me. Fun Fact: Did you know that the last line the Tenth Doctor said before regenerating ("I don't want to go") was unscripted? That just goes to show how much talent David Tennant possesses, enough to make us fangirls cry uncontrollably with a single sentence.
  • Another thing I love about David Tennant is that, as a kid, he was a fanboy of Doctor Who. Look where he ended up! I guess you could say that he followed his dreams.


Matt Smith (Eleventh Doctor):

  • I can safely say that Matt Smith started off the Eleventh Doctor the right way. David Tennant is a very tough act to follow, and I've got to say that I had my doubts. However, Matt brought so much energy and hilarity to the Doctor that I very much enjoyed watching.
  • Eleven's companions were among the best. Young Amelia Pond was the first person the Eleventh Doctor ever saw, which makes her so so special. All grown up, Amy puts the Doctor in line but is generally a go-with-the-flow kind of girl. What I mean is that she just goes along with the next threat, unless it has to do with her husband or daughter. Husband: Rory Williams. Oh gosh, I love Rory so much. As many times as he died, he always came back, except for the heartbreaking episode, "The Angels Take Manhattan." It was terrible to see Amy and Rory go, and I don't think my heart has fully recovered yet. And now, for the person you've all been waiting to read about, Amy and Rory's daughter, Melody Pond, aka River Song. River keeps meeting the Doctor in all the wrong orders, travelling through space and time. River and Eleven are my power couple, no joke. When they got married, my little shipper heart exploded. I love all the jokes they make with each other and could not fathom a time when River and Eleven aren't together.
  • I've talked about this before, but the Eleventh Doctor has his own unique personality. While Nine is war-bent and Ten is dramatic, Eleven is quirky and carefree. His encounters with Craig and Alfie crack me up, and there's much more where that came from.
  • If you guys are ever bored, go on YouTube and find behind-the-scenes videos of Karen Gillan and Matt Smith. I promise it will make your day because they are absolutely adorable and hilarious. I'll link some of these videos on my page. *insert Doctor Who theme song here* 
  • I was a little confused with the Eleventh Doctor's regeneration. How did he grow old on Tenzalore? How did he muster up the energy to perform another regeneration? Isn't that all against the laws of time and space? But then again, when has the Doctor followed the rules? (If you have explanations for any of these questions, don't hesitate to write them in the comments!)

Peter Capaldi (Twelfth Doctor):

  • At the beginning of season 8, I again had my doubts about the new Doctor. However, in time, Twelve began to grow on me. Peter Capaldi portrays him quite differently. The Twelfth Doctor is serious and jokes around at the same time. He seems very protective of Clara. Many people look at Twelve and think of him as Clara's father, but I don't really see it that way. I don't consider him a romantic interest either, though. To me, Twelve and Clara are like old friends, which is lovely to think about. Unfortunately, I am not finished with season 8 quite yet, so I don't know everything about the Twelfth Doctor, but I do have a few questions. Peter Capaldi played a character in the season two epsiode, "The Fires of Pompeii", and the Twelfth Doctor himself speculated about why he had transformed into that face. My question is this: is it ever explained why he took the face of someone he saved out of guilt? My theory is that he subconsciously chose it as a reminder, but who knows. Those eyebrows are unpredictable. *laughs*
I know this was an extra long post, but I just couldn't go another day without sharing my thoughts on this subject. I'll be updating later this week so stay tuned!

May you find peace in your fandoms.

--@onceuponatimeinhogwarts



3 comments:

  1. Eleven was able to regenerate because the Time Lords granted his more regeneration energy. Near the end of the episode on Trenzalore, Clara talks to the people on Gallifrey through the rift in time and explains that the Doctor needs help, so they send him more regeneration energy. This was a 'fantastic'😉 blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I see. Thank you so much for explaining. And I see what you did there. *wink wink*

      Delete
  2. I love Doctor Who too. And Ten is definitely my favorite. I, like you, was bawling my eyes out during David Tennant's regeneration. This blog was "brilliant" (much like Donna Noble).

    ReplyDelete